We recognise that the public sector equality duty has three aims.
These aims are to:
· Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct under the Act
· Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
· Foster good relations between people who have a shared characteristic and those who do not
James Montgomery Academy Trust will annually review how well we achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (2010). We aim to provide the highest possible education for all of our students. Our ethos clearly reflects our commitment to fully including and respecting all members of our school communities.
We have set ourselves the following objectives for 2022/23 onwards:
· To ensure that staff and governors are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand the Trust’s responsibility;
· To promote cultural understanding and awareness and tolerance of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our school communities;
· To promote mental health awareness and develop appropriate interventions where necessary;
· Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students for all groups of students; especially students eligible for Pupil Premium, students with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and students from minority ethnic groups;
· Continue to improve accessibility across the school sites for students, staff and visitors with disabilities;
· Monitor the incidence of the use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by students in our schools;
· To continuously review and revise the curriculum so that it represents a diverse culture and society and encourages tolerance and respect.
Further information is contained in our Equality and Diversity policy.